Thursday, June 4, 2015

Galesburg 5.26.15

Dear family and friends,

Ramona got baptized on Saturday! It was an awesome experience to see someone I taught, and someone who I have personally seen change their life, enter into the waters of baptism and be confirmed a member of the Church. I had the opportunity to speak at the baptism about the Holy Ghost. It wasn't very long, but the Spirit was super strong. I'm grateful to have been part in bringing a soul unto Christ (D&C 18:15). I am determined to press onward and work towards the next verse, verse 16, and bring "many souls" unto him.

I have been working on having a "mighty change of heart" (Alma 5:12). President Fenn sent out a letter to all of us missionaries about charity. He said we needed to pray for charity. I knew that 1 Corinthians 13 talked about charity, so I read that a few times and I have been praying for this gift. I am beginning to feel love for those around me. I realize that if I want to be like Christ I need to ACT like Christ. Charity is the pure love of Christ, and "charity never faileth" (Moroni 7:46; 1 Cor. 13:8). A quote from a favorite movie, The School of Rock, can be "likened" (1 Nephi 19:23) here; "you're not hardcore unless you live hardcore". I can't be a true disciple of Jesus Christ unless I live like a disciple of Jesus Christ.

In my latest study of the Book of Mormon I have been searching for promises and fulfilling of promises within the Book itself. Although I am not far into the book by number of pages, I am farther into than ever before. Here is what I have come up with so far:
Promises - Fulfilled
1 Nephi 1:20 - 2 Nephi 5:20
1 Nephi 2:22 - 2 Nephi 5:19
1 Nephi 2:24 - 2 Nephi 5:25
1 Nephi 17:14 - 2 Nephi 1:4
These are the most recent ones I can remember, I probably missed some.

It's safe to say that I have really been spending a lot of time in the scriptures. They contain so much that is beneficial for us all. I have found great comfort and they have given me hope (Romans 15:4).

Sunday was kind of a bummer because Jo took us aside and told us she didn't want us to come over anymore. She said there were a lot of things going on with her family and she felt like us coming over wasn't helping. I was really sad about that. But hopefully she will come around!

Thank you for all the love and prayers. I love you all! 

Elder G. Franklin Scherer
ICWM
Galesburg, Illinois

1319 Butterfield road suite 522
Downers Grove, Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment