Wednesday, November 11, 2015

year.

Exactly 1 year from today: November 9, 2016 I will be stepping off the plane. Kinda crazy. I never thought this day would come at the beginning of my mission. its a time of great reflection as i come to the close of my first 12 months and as i also turn another year old. 366 days left. im gonna make it the best i can.

Well there wasn't really a whole lot that happened this week. Nothing really exciting. Well actually I did get offered a job! It's for a life insurance company. We were knocking on some doors and a guy stopped his car and waited for us. It was kinda creepy. As soon as we finished talking to the person at the door we turned to go to the next and he motioned for us to come over.
Well we walked over to his car. I had one hand on my Book of Mormon, the other on my knife, my testimony ready to be borne, I mean I was ready for whatever this guy had in store for us. He got out of his car when we got close and he said, "Latter-day Saints, right?"
"Yeah, that's us." I said.
Well the conversation continued and he said that he works for this company and his boss loves Latter-day Saint missionaries for a host of reasons. We told him that neither of us were from around this area. He said it was a national company and that he knew we probably had a little time left, but the offer was still good when we got finished with our missions! Worth checking out I guess.
Well the conversation continued and he said that he works for this company and his boss loves Latter-day Saint missionaries for a host of reasons. We told him that neither of us were from around this area. He said it was a national company and that he knew we probably had a little time left, but the offer was still good when we got finished with our missions! Worth checking out I guess.
Well in process of of the conversation after the job offer had been made and some particulars discussed, he wanted to ask a few questions about our faith. Turns out he is a born again baptist. He teaches an anti-mormon Sunday school class for his church. DING DING DING right there! If your church actively preaches against another church during your meetings then there's probably something wrong with your church! hahah anyways we had what the scriptures refer to as a "wonderful contention" with him.
I am trying not to bash with people, but in the [summarized] words of Elder Holland when it comes time to defend your beliefs, be humble and polite, but DEFEND THEM. (He also said we don't look for bible bashes, but when one comes upon us, we win). I try to take that advice. haha
Anyways we didn't make any progress with him. He had this awesome little white King James Version bible. It was leather and had the gold pages and it was super compact. I want to find one like it. Hopefully that's not coveting.
That was pretty much the excitement for the week. My scripture for the week is Alma 38:12: "Use boldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love; see that ye refrain from idleness."
Love all, Elder Scherer




No comments:

Post a Comment