Monday, November 2, 2015

Spooky Halloween in Morton 11.2.15

Dear Family and Friends -

We had a miracle week! We taught five lessons, which may not seem like a lot, but it is more than I have ever taught in a single week so far in my mission! We got 4 new investigators, one of which we dropped. I will talk about him in a little bit. We even got a couple referrals from members and we have appointments with those people in the next weeks!
So I'll start with the best one, the Grimm family, Alice (Alees) and Paul. They are the people I talked about last week who offered to feed us while we were on their doorstep. We went for lunch on Saturday and she made us pulled pork sandwiches and there was pumpkin cake, it was just awesome! They have four kids all under the age of 6. Judah, Elijah, Shiloh, and Silas. Shiloh is the only girl. We taught them the restoration, they had lots of questions. They are both pretty strong in their faith in Jesus Christ. He has translated the bible from Hebrew and Greek by himself, apparently you get a better perspective that way?
Despite all their questions, they agreed to have us come back and they want to learn more! Best of all they invited us back on my birthday, next Tuesday! I was so happy when they wanted us to come back I was just like, "That will be such a great birthday gift to come back to see you guys!" (Probably shouldn't have said anything, excuse my self centeredness...) Alice was like what kind of cake do you want? without even thinking! I told them I liked brownies and ice cream and they said no problem! EVERYONE PRAY THAT WE CAN KEEP TEACHING THEM AND THAT THEY WILL GET BAPTIZED!!!
Turns out he already had a copy of the Book of Mormon given to him by a member here in the ward! It was given him like 10 years ago. He showed it to us and it was one of those that has the pictures like in the middle of the writing not in the front or the back. It said right in the front cover: Andrew Valencic! Paul does heating and air conditioning and I guess brother Valencic was a customer a while back. You never know how your missionary efforts turn out, it took 10 years with who knows what else happened in the middle, for Paul to meet with missionaries even tho he had a Book of Mormon. Share the gospel no matter what you see comes of it, because it all leads to the right place!
That took a while to explain that part. Well the guy I said I was going to talk about next is Greg Gettys. Man this guy wanted to fight (bible bash) I am trying to kill that habit because that's not how you get people to join the church it only makes them mad. I shut him down with everything he said. He was amazed that I knew all the plagues of Egypt. He wanted to know about all the different instances of apostasy and such in the Old Testament. I started to explain about how Israel fell into apostasy after Joshua died and... that's about how far I got then he cut me off. He just interrupted me a lot so I said we are not here to argue. If you won't listen to us we will go to someone who will. I was very polite, but I told him we are not here to be taught and no matter how much I like it, I am not there to Bible bash with him. I was just about to destroy him so maybe it was a good thing that he kept interrupting me. 
So on Halloween President didn't want us out proselyting and interfering with people trick or treating so we had to go inside and stay inside from 4 to the end of the night. He basically put us on lock down... He wanted us to read, as a companionship, Mosiah 23 through Alma 40. He gave us from 4 to the end of the night on Saturday and he told us to set apart a four hour block on Sunday to read it together. So we had a little read-a-thon. It wasn't as good as the ones we had in elementary school where we would make forts and stuff... But we got lots of candy so that was nice.

That's it for this week. Kind of a lot, but it was a really good week!


Elder Scherer








No comments:

Post a Comment